Archives

Testosterone Replacement Helps Men Shed Fat

August 14, 2012 11 Comments by Scott Isaacs, M.D.

A new study has shown that long-term testosterone replacement in men brings about impressive reductions in body weight and body fat.  The study, presented at the 2012 Annual meeting of the Endocrine Society found that testosterone replacement therapy led to an average 36-pound weight loss and 3.5 inch reduction in waist circumference.

Dr. Farid Saad, one of the investigators stated:

“This is an amazing response. I don’t know of many other therapies where you have more than 90% of treated patients respond in a positive way.”

It has been know that testosterone replacement causes substantial improvements in body composition, with reductions in fat mass and increased lean body mass. But the investigators were surprised by such a substantial weight loss. Researchers speculate that because testosterone causes dramatic improvements in virility, vitality and motivation to change, men have an easier time improving exercise and nutrition leading to an easier time losing weight. Testosterone is a valuable instrument in facilitating lifestyle change.

Got low T?

Testosterone is a hormone responsible for the normal growth and development of the male sex organs and other sexual characteristics. Testosterone is made by the testicles. Low T or low testosterone, also known as hypogonadism is a common problem among men and is associated with a variety of symptoms including:

• Weight gain around the middle
  • Fatigue
  • Erectile dysfunction
  • Decreased libido
  • Bone loss
  • Menopausal-type hot flashes
  • Depression

Low T can be caused by a signaling problem that occurs between the pituitary gland and the testicles that testosterone levels to drop below normal. Low Testosterone can also occur when the testicles shut down.

Testosterone replacement therapy can be given as a topical gel, patch, injection or long-lasting pellets implanted under the skin. If you have symptoms of testosterone deficiency or low T, see your physician.

For more information on testosterone, please read my book Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight by Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism or visit my Facebook page.

www.YourEndocrinologist.com
www.IntelligentHealthCenter.com

11 Comments

1. Dale Newberry says:
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 5:45pm

I like this. How do I go about convincing my doctor I would like this therapy? I’m 53 in decent physical shape with no pre-existing conditions. Just tired, have a very difficult time getting workouts in have about 25 lbs. that need to go and a low sex drive. Any suggestions? Thank you

2. Scott Isaacs, MD says:
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 9:59pm

Step one is to get tested. If you doc won’t test you, see an endocrinologist.

3. ron says:
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 4:55pm

how can i get on this i am 5ft4 and 297 i have asthma had a minor stroke a and i am only 40

4. ron says:
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 4:57pm

should i have this

5. Scott Isaacs, MD says:
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 5:00pm

Ron, you should see your physician and get tested for low testosterone.

6. ron says:
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 5:04pm

do i sound like i might have low

7. ron says:
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 5:12pm

well do you give answears do i sound like i could be low

8. jabbahursty says:
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 1:17am

i’ve been badly obese for many years now. joined up the gym. hung out with the bodybuilders. every night, i’d lift weights with them. they’d all get bigger and stronger and i’d stay soft and weak and super fat. so one day, i ask ” i don’t get it. i come here and lift with you guys every night and nothing happens” to which the reply was “you’re not making any testosterone”. well, i mean, i was like “yeah, eff you, i’m making plenty of everything, ok?!”

but the more i look into it, the more i see that this fella was 100% right about what ailed me. too bad i didn’t see your ad then as i lived in atlanta at the time. i definitely would have gone to see you.

9. James says:
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 at 3:26am

I have been tested and my Testosterone level was low for my age. I have 5 out of 6 of the symptoms you posted.. My doctor told to start taking vitamin D once a day and I would be fine. I have lost muscle and gained fat around my midsection no matter how much I workout I can not lose weight. All I eat is fish, chicken, veggies and fuit. I also drink enough water to drown everyday..All I want to do is sleep..So what do you think doc?

10. Scott Isaacs, MD says:
    Monday, August 20, 2012 at 7:20am

I think it is worth seeing an endocrinologist. Here is a link so you can find one close. https://www.aace.com/resources/find-an-endocrinologist

11. Paul says:
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 5:34pm

If your regular testosterone is in the normal range.
    But yout Free Testosterone is below the normal range
    And your Sex Hormone Binding Globulin is not Normal ( high )
    And your Testosterone Bioavailable is not in normal range ( very low)
    Would I have any benefit from a testoster replacement program?
    Test results from my last semi annual physical.
    Age is 68